Constitution and Rules 2021
That this organisation shall be called “HIV Trainee Association”.
That this organisation shall consist of a Chairman and Committee, representing, where possible, all regions and years of educational training from SpR/ST3+.
Members should hold a National Training Number in Genitourinary Medicine (GUM), Infectious Diseases (ID) or General Internal Medicine (GIM), or have an interest in these specialities at Foundation Year 2 or Internal Medicine Training level.
That the object of the organisation shall primarily be to represent the educational interests of specialist trainees in ID and GUM.
That the aims of the organisation shall be:
- to provide an opportunity for members meetings for both educational and social purposes
- to foster relations with other organisations (e.g. BHIVA, BASHH, BIA) which are involved in the education and training of the membership, and with trainees amongst other disciplines who are involved in HIV care
- to provide a forum for members to discuss matters related to training and the transition to future posts
- to provide Associate Membership to GPwSI, SAS Doctors, Consultants, Pharmacists and Specialist Nurses (a fee is payable of £25 for attendance at workshops)
Rules of Procedure
- The minimum number of members on the committee shall be 8.
- The number of committee members necessary for a quorum shall be 4.
- The committee shall meet at least twice each year.
- Election of chairman and committee:
- Election of chairman
Candidates will be proposed from within the committee and members will be notified in advance of nominations and asked to vote. In the event of a tie, the out-going chairperson will be authorised to use his/her casting vote. A chairperson will serve for a minimum of one year. Co-chairing of HIVTA by up to 2 committee members is permitted. The longest serving time for Chair is to be two years.
Election of committee
Self-nomination for vacant posts will be sought in advance by advertisement in the HIVTA newsletter, and nominees will be notified prior to the annual general meeting (AGM). If only one applicant should apply to represent a post, they will automatically go forward to the AGM for endorsement by members. If no nominations are received for a post by the closing date, then applicants will be sought at the AGM, and voting will be by secret ballot.
Where possible, recognising numbers of trainee representatives, all regions of the United Kingdom and Ireland are to be represented: Wales, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland.
A variety of junior and senior ID & GUM Registrars should make up the committee.
A committee member, on taking up the post, should:
- undertake to attend at least one committee meeting and one of the Association’s meetings over the course of the year. If the member fails to meet this requirement, their position on the committee could be terminated
- the length of service on the committee is a maximum of 3 years, but if no candidate comes forward for a vacant post at the end of this term, then the incumbent could remain on the committee for a further year (when the vacancy would be advertised again).
Rules of Membership
- Membership of the HIV Trainee Association will include:Doctors in training who hold an NTN or LAT post in ID, GUM, GIM, IMT, Combined Infection Training or FY2.
- Full membership should terminate at the end of the Annual General Meeting following Consultant appointment, with the option of transferring to associate membership.
The Association will ensure an external secretariat is appointed at all times, to be a single point of access to the committee. They will ensure adequate minute documentation and provide external scrutiny of how funds are spent.
Internal accounts will be audited by an external accountant annually.
Updated March 2021